Explore Philadelphia’s archaeological past with the current experts digging through the city! And it’s free to learn!
This Saturday, head to the National Constitution Center for a full day of presentations and events starting at 10:00 in the morning presented by the Philadelphia Archaeological Forum and Independence National Historical Park. Stop in for a talk that peaks your interest or stay all day. Here’s a highlight of some the presentations happening that day.
- 10:00 a.m. – Welcome Reception with Jed Levin, Chief, History Branch, Independence National Historial Park
- 10:15 a.m. – Philadelphia Archaeology: Year in Review. Douglas Mooney, President of the Philadelphia Archaeology Forum will discuss the projects and notable developments that have happened in the Philadelphia archaeological scene this past year.
- 10:30 a.m. – Learn what the coffins and skeletons excavated at 218 Arch Street tell us about the first Baptists in Philadelphia. This talk will share some of what has been learned about the first Baptists and their burial practices.
- 10:45 a.m. – Save our Sites: Heritage at Risk. Learn what the Philadelphia Archaeological Forum to help save the historical burial grounds and other archaeological sites throughout the city and how you can help.
- 11:17 a.m. – I’ll Toast to That! A virtually recreated tankard will be used in a virtual reality role-playing game that will explore religion, race, and class in the late 18th century.
- 12:00 p.m to 1:30 p.m. – Sign up for a special tour of the Newly Refurbished “We the People” exhibit. Seventy objects from the National Constitution Center site archaeological collection will be on display.
- 2:55 p.m. – Underground Philadelphia. Harry Kyriakodis will talk about his new book which explores the secrets beneath the streets.
For a listing of the full schedule, please visit the Philadelphia Archaeology Forum’s event page.
There will be multiple raffles throughout the day as well as time slotted for guests to ask archaeologists questions. History nerds will not want to miss this event!
Explore Philadelphia’s Buried Past
Saturday, October 7, 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
National Constitution Center, Kirby Auditorium, 525 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
No tickets required this is a free event.